Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Eyes of Makai

Salinas, Ecuador

As a welcome home present, I decided to round out all of the wooden corners so my owners wouldn’t hurt themselves on the sharp edges. After acquiring a taste for teak, I expanded my mission to other items such as wooden cleats and railings. Returning from Peru, they were so happy to see me they never even thanked me for my hard work.

I have really enjoyed Ecuador. Everyday paddle boats and jet skis come by to see me. I feel like a celebrity. I have entertained myself onboard by playing fetch with the locals. When they come close I drop a tennis ball or toy in the water and they pick it up and give it back to me. In playing the game I discovered a valuable lesson: some toys float, and others sink. I found this out one night when I tried to play the game with Bret. For some reason, he was throwing my toy and expecting me to chase it, so I showed him how to play and threw my Kong bone in the water. He dove in after my favorite toy and fumbled around underwater for a while before throwing it back on the boat. He did not look pleased and we have not played again since.

My favorite days are when we swim to the beach for walks and runs. My owners seem to be getting slower by the day, and now I have to run with everyone before I get tired. Not only am I bigger and faster, but everyone keeps talking about how I am changing. I don’t think anything is wrong, but Bret and Chad say they want to fix me. Previously, all of my friends on the beach used to be content just wanting to play. Now they keep saying they love me and follow me for miles. Although they are different, I do not mind because I am much faster than the boys from the street.

I overheard talk of a place called the Marqueses islands, where I believe we will be headed next. We have been waiting for a GPS in the mail for over a week, and everyone seems anxious to leave. After our third farewell party, I can’t wait to go sailing and start eating fish and rice again. The dog food here is good, but nothing compares to fresh sushi.

-Makai

2 comments:

  1. Hi guys! I check once a week to monitor your progress. When are you heading west? At the rate you all are going, oh well I won't go there..
    Be safe & well..

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete