Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thanksgiving Day

It is 3:20 AM on Thanksgiving as I stare upon the countless stars above the rocking Broken Compass. I click the stop button on my watch and smirk to myself. As Chad is still sleeping at his battle station, I thought I would share our most recent humorous story.

It began yesterday morning with typical high spirits and optimism about a super productive day including boat work, refueling, filling the water tanks, internet, getting Mexican departure papers, and a sailors charity event in the evening before pulling anchor and leaving La Cruz. A cup of coffee each were drunk to provide caffeine aided energy. The water for the coffee came from the dock in Cabo San Lucas, where I specifically remember a Mexican saying, “Agua no drink.” The coffee was consumed with confidence in our immune systems’ abilities to cope with bacteria. Unknowingly, the water was the last of the tank. Our theory is that most of the toxic bacteria live on the surface of the water, leaving last of the water tank supply carrying a potent dosage (not sure if this is accurate at all).

Chad immediately fell ill as I drug him ashore to grab lunch and internet. He left early and picked me up with the dinghy at 6pm. With my stomach already disagreeing with my lunch, and seeing my sweaty pale faced brother pick me up wearing nothing but a towel, I realized it would be a rough night. I motored us back the boat, tied her up, and joined Chad’s call to vomit over the port side of the Broken Compass. Knowing persistence and endurance is the greatest weapon against these bacterial beasts, I pressed the start button on my watch.

It was a beautiful scene: As the sun burst with color across the sky taking its last breath of the day, Chad and I disrupted all the surrounding boat occupants perfect evening with noises only made when one sounds as though they are dying.



For the better part of the night we split up on deck with Chad taking starboard, myself port and Makai uncharacteristically quiet in the back. Ignoring our beefed up medical cabinet out of pride, we both devised separate strategies. Chad downed vinegar with water and overused antibacterial soap to speed up the recovery. I focused on moderating convulsive bouts, kept an eye on my watch, and occasionally sipped water. I enjoyed the company of the Broken Compass every 30 minutes or so as the bilge reminded me of our yet to be repaired leak, emptying herself out into the same waters as I did myself.

Chad just woke up and seems almost fully recovered. Thanksgiving will be spent here in La Cruz for a cruisers potluck and turkey provided by a local restaurant owner named Philo.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh! I'm sorry; even though I'm laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes. Thanksgiving Barftown population 2. Gobble-Gurgle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm laughing but feel really bad for you guys. Not that bad though, especially after reading the line about your pride getting in the way of taking meds. *Shaking my head*....oh you van roden boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. learn how to pick up messages on your phone. you may have a few from me :-) :-$

    ReplyDelete