Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Brief visit home

With the Broken Compass safely docked in Pago Pago, I booked a flight to Mexico. The plan: Cousin's wedding in Mexico, fly home to Pennsylvania to visit family/friends, and source supplies back to the boat.

I stopped in Phoenix for a 3 days layover only to experience slight culture shock out at the Scottsdale bars. Dressed in nothing but board shorts while sharing $5 bottles of rum for the past year, flashy outfits and dozens of people pushing each other for $10 drinks was a bit of a change. Fortunately, the wedding was held in Puerto Vallarta, providing a more subtle transition as I was able to revisit places we sailed almost a year prior. Sitting on the beach viewing the vastness of the Pacific ocean, I thought of our 34 day crossing and all the islands thousands of miles westward.

Albeit a home warming welcome, Pennsylvania in November is incomparable to the tropical sun of the south pacific. I visited friends, family, and began preparations to head back to the boat when Chad informed me the replacement of our engine was a more practical alternative than fixing the old one. Purchasing a new engine and shipping it on a freighter took another 5 weeks and I found myself staying in Pennsylvania through Thanksgiving and spending time in an office in the interim.

Having returned to the States, it gives our journey perspective. Running around with a car, phone, iPad and the ubiquitous “virtual connectivity” to everyone is vastly different than life at sea. It leads me to question: Which is “the real world?” Emails, facebook, texts, and phone calls begin to be a lot to manage.

On my flight back to Pago Pago, I spent a few days in Portland Oregon visiting friends and stopping by my old office. Although it was great to see former co-workers, the old cube confirmed my decision to sail. The endless opportunities of the sea and excitement of the next island seem to polarize the spacial confines of a cubical. A two day layover to see a best friend from high school and watch the Pipeline surfing competition and I am on my way back. There is one thing I know for certain: The Broken Compass, clear blue waters and Makai eagerly await my return.

-Bret

No comments:

Post a Comment