Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Snow Dog in Samoa

Samoa is like the wild west for dogs. Unlike my overprotective owners, dogs run free and patrol their territory in packs. We had several encounters during our morning runs, however I was on a leash and I just watched as Chad defended us with rocks. One day I was determined to meet these dogs who lived without rules or leashes. I untied my rope and jumped off the boat to the dock. I was free! I did not run far before I found my friend, Nancy. She is a female about my size and she comes by each evening to tease me at the end of my leash. Now it was my turn. I was batting her around outside the Marina when suddenly I was grabbed and thrown in a pickup truck. I did not know the owner of the truck, nor where we were going, but I was on an adventure! A little over a mile later, the Samoan started to creep me out, so I jumped out to explore downtown Pago.

Then I saw them: a pack of stray dogs whom I wanted to befriend. To my surprise, they were not as excited to see me. The group of 8 ran towards me barking, angry, and with bad intention. I retreated. Fortunately they are all much slower, so I would run, wait, then run again. I finally took refuge in a white pickup truck with an open door. Exhausted, I laid in the back hoping he would just take me home. He didn't. First he tried to poke me with a stick. I ignored him because I was to tired to play games. He said his name was James and he would take me home. Perfect, I thought. On hour later we arrived at a house in the middle of the woods. This is not good. I couldn't sleep or eat. I was scared and whined all night. The next morning I was back in the pick-up truck with a little boy. Kids seem to understand me much better than older people. I licked him, he laughed and smiled. A short ride later I was back on the Broken Compass. I thanked the boy and went to catch up on some much needed sleep.

In the following weeks. We went on hikes, kayak tours, boat rides, swims and car rides. I love car rides.

I met some of the nicer dogs on the island and found that one on one, I have not found my match. Speaking of matches though, I met a couple boys when Chad left the boat one day. I jumped off to play. They seemed to want something else. I went along with what they called mating. I waited for them to come back the next day, but Chad took me on a car ride instead. I love car rides. We stopped and all I remember is a man came in the car, poked me in the butt with a needle. I woke up with a purple belly, 8 stitches and unable to walk. I think I was drugged and cut open. Either way, I don't want to try that mating thing anymore.

So American Samoa was exciting. Living next to land was bliss and playing with all the stray dogs was definately a highlight. I hear we are headed to Tonga next. The other dogs told me to watch out because people eat dogs in Tonga. I simply told them I am Makai, a siberian husky traveling the world and not even dog eating Tongans will stop me from completing my journey.



-Makai

No comments:

Post a Comment